Research shows that over 60% of first-time managers fail within the first two years if not given the proper support.
We just released the First-time Manager workshop! This program was designed by our partner, The Ken Blanchard Companies. The program equips new leaders with the skills they need to be successful. We all know a great start can make all the difference!
Becoming a first-time manager is one of the most challenging and critical transitions. New managers are often chosen from high-performing individuals. These highly proficient doers quickly become struggling new managers, without the methods or skills needed to succeed. The failure rates are daunting.
Those given the opportunity to move into management are the very individuals chosen by their organization to be tomorrow’s leaders. Yet, they are often left unsupported as they struggle to intuit their way to success.
Blanchard has decided to help first-time managers overcome this challenge by showing them the foundational skills needed to balance relationships with results. In Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson’s top-selling book, The New One Minute Manager, readers are introduced to Goal-setting, Praising, and Redirecting, three secrets of successful managers. This program develops those secrets into conversation templates that are easy for new managers to understand and master. The program adds a fourth conversation template, Wrapping Up, needed to complete the system and help first-time managers boost the engagement and adaptability of their people. Participants will also learn four interpersonal skills needed to carry out the four core conversations, which also reorient first-time managers toward developing better relationships and more autonomous teams.
• Success rates are improved
• Team productivity is improved
• Better prepared for the emotional challenges of this difficult transition
• Learn and practice the basic skills they need to succeed
• New managers are more centered and supportive of their team
This is a 6-hour face-to-face workshop. There are two pre-class activities that take about 15 minutes. The workshop is a fast-moving combination of content, engaging activities, entertaining videos, and skill practice. After the workshop, participants have access to the First-time Manager Challenge, which guides learners through a set of tasks to practice new skills back on the job. They also have access through their learner portal to workshop videos and worksheets for a year.
• Abbreviated workshop design with modular options
• Incorporates two types of engaging videos
• Teaches four core conversations based on the secrets of the New One Minute Manager
• Teaches managerial skills needed to develop positive relationships and orient first-time managers to their new challenge
• Clients can roll out this program without certifying trainers Who should attend First-time managers and those considering a transition into management.
Contact us to find out how we can train your first-time managers or emerging leaders.
Sample Participant Workbook
Strategic Development Associates is a certified Channel Partner with The Ken Blanchard Companies since 2002.